Human Trafficking Resource

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Saving San Diego

One of these days I’m going to have my own money to spend any way I like.
There has got to be a day coming where it doesn’t cost a pound of flesh to have my needs met.  I’m not always going to be like this you know.
Someday . . . my life is going to matter. I just hope someone remembers that it did.
                                                                          Saving Savannah

Last night I had the privilege of attending the volunteer training for GENERATE HOPE, San Diego's
 amazing program for women who have been involved in Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation.
So many women joined together, their hearts swollen with compassion and a desire to help our cities most vulnerable. I applaud the ladies in attendance who endured the sad, uncomfortable truth about the underbelly of this fine city.
It takes courage to get involved, to stand up for what's right; most find it easier to simply look away.
Seated at the large table of women, I worried they could see the word "Trafficked!" still stamped on my forehead. I have to be careful in settings like these, not to let shame creep back in and destroy all I have overcome. 
By meetings end I was able to hold my head up high, the faded brands of days-gone-by were forgotten.
I hope someone was able to see my new label "Victorious Survivor" as I walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment